Header Ads

Breaking News
recent

SPORT:Mutiu Adepoju: I Once Turned Down Offer of Spanish Citizenship

Mutiu Adepoju: I Once Turned Down Offer of Spanish Citizenship
Mutiu Adepoju

He came into prominence during the U-20 World Youth Championship in 1989 in Saudi Arabia where he proved how deadly he could be with his head in the box.
Soccer fans will not forget in a hurry his two goals against the United States of America in the semi-final of the competition en route Flying Eagles winning the silver in the WYC. Mutiu Adepoju bares his mind to Kunle Adewale on Nigeria’s U20 team playing in the World Cup in New Zealand, his life, career and other salient issues


In spite of having won the U17 World Youth Championship a record four times, Nigeria is yet to taste the ultimate prize at the U20 level despite getting to the finals twice in 1989 and 2005 in Saudi Arabia and Netherland respectively. Some however thought this year might be Nigeria’s year to follow the footstep of Ghana (the only African country to ever win the FIFA U20 World Cup) considering the quality of players the team boast of and their pre-tournament performance.

However, Nigerian fans who kept vigil to watch the Flying Eagles first encounter against Brazil were disappointed at the end of the day, after Nigeria fell 2-4 to the Samba Boys, but for Adepoju all hope is not lost.

"Before their game against Brazil, I was one of the many Nigerians that was of the opinion that these crop of players can go all the way to win the trophy. Nevertheless, all hope is not lost. If they can win their next game against North Korea and win their last group game, they can still go on to lift the trophy," Adepoju said.

He is however of the opinion that the team lost to Brazil because they showed too much respect for the South American representative. "I think they gave Brazil too much respect and they did not take their chances when it came, plus the blunder the goalkeeper committed. All these were responsible for the loss. But before their next game, I expect that the coach must have looked at the gray areas and do the necessary correction.

“One cannot really compare this present team with that of the team I played in 1989, because we belong to different generation. I doubt if this present side have the same hunger compared to the side I played alongside with Saudi Arabia. In all competitions, the first game is always very important but after losing to Brazil in their opening game the team is now under pressure to win their remaining two matches,” the former Real Madrid B Team player noted.

"My two goals against the United States in the World Youth Championship (Under 20) in Saudi Arabia in the semi-final will remain memorable to me and I will always recall the moment with nostalgia because the goals took Nigeria to the final of the competition for the first time. The match we played against Algeria in Algiers was also memorable and Super Eagles 3-2 victory against Spain at the 1998 World Cup was also one moment I will cherish for life. I was one of the scorers for Nigeria the beautiful day. That Spanish side was one of the best in history but we stopped their ambition," Adepoju recalled.

After his exploit in Saudi Arabia at the WYC in 1989, Mutiu Adepoju joined Real Madrid reserve team, where he emerged as the highest goal scorer in the Spanish Segunda Division in the 1991/92 season which made the Spanish Football Federation to sell him the idea of opting for a Spanish citizenship but the for Shooting Stars player opted to represent Nigeria at the 1992 Africa Cup of Nations in Senegal and helped Nigeria win the bronze medal after losing to an Abedi 'Pele Ayew inspired Ghana in the semifinal where the Super Eagles won bronze.

The former Julius Berger of Lagos midfielder however regretted not putting on the colours of Spanish giants, Real Madrid.
“Not playing for Real Madrid senior team is one regrets I'll take to my grave. Though the team had a lot of renowned players in their side but I felt I was still good enough to wear the team's jersey but then the European rule then forbids more than three foreign players in a team for any game was an hindrance to my ambition," Adepoju noted.

Recalling his experience in Spain, the former Racing Santander said: "On the whole, it was a fantastic experience. Initially, the first challenges we faced when we got there was the language barrier, we were like deaf and dump, but after sometimes we adapted and picked the language and the peoples' culture. We spent more than 20 years in Spain; by and large it was a fantastic experience. We had all our children there."

Though, Adepoju became famous as a footballer, his children decided on a different sport as their vocation. "The older ones are still there in Spain schooling, while we have the youngest with the family in Nigeria. The ones in colleges play basketball actively for their school."

Adepoju's time as the General Manager of Shooting Stars Sports Club is still regarded with mixed feelings.

"I had a wonderful time with Shooting Stars and there is no regret whatsoever returning from Spain to accept the Oluloye Warrior's job. I have to accept that there were objectives I set at the beginning, which I didn’t accomplish as at the time I left the club. It was not because I didn’t put in my best. You must have secured a position somewhere before taking the decision to leave. I came to 3SC as the general manager/technical director and over the years, different boards have been put in place and I’d worked with them all. But every one of them had their own ideas and I’ve mine as well.”

He however admitted that it was not easy taking that decision to leave 3SC
"It was a very difficult decision to take because of the relationship I’ve with the club as a brand and the fans. Sometimes, I look back and say to myself that there were things I would have done if given the opportunity to make an impact at the club but I left when I felt it was time to leave. When I came home from Spain, I gave myself a target of working for four or five years and taking a break to see how I would have fared. After that number of years, if you feel that you are not adding any value to what is on ground, then you must look elsewhere. But for you to add value to something, there must be certain structure to work with.”

The physical education graduate said his ability to play football with such artistry was inborn. "My father and uncle were footballers which made my ability more of hereditary than learning how to play it. I think I inherited it from them but developed it by playing for my primary school, secondary school and my university teams."

Asked to compare the Super Eagles of his time to the present generation he said: "The olden days Eagles was different, the commitment was different because in recent years we have not been doing great in football but, there is always a new beginning. The new crop of Eagles is going to make something good for us."

Adepoju who does not have time for flamboyant ways of dressing admitted that his wife, Bimpe, has been operating a fashion home in Spain for more than 20 years. “I like to appear simple. l love jeans and T-shirt with a passion because I like appearing smart at all times. l cannot stand spending a lot of time in front of the mirror. l like something l can put on quickly and yet still look good.”

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.